Rugs buying guide
Rugs and mats are an easy way to add a focal point and really tie a room together. They provide comfort underfoot in a room with hard flooring, help divide rooms, and protect areas of heavy wear on fitted carpets and in hallways. With two of Munster’s largest carpet and rug showrooms in Cork and Limerick , we also have a large selection of rugs on our website. Come instore and the expert staff in our carpet departments will be able to advise and assist you.
Caring for Rugs
- Stains and spillages on rugs should be blotted, not rubbed, and only cool water should be used on them.
- As with hard flooring, cylinder vacuum cleaners are gentler than uprights. If you have an upright, do not use the brush—use the tools if possible, as they are gentler.
- Similar to furniture it is important to turn rugs regularly if they are in a sunny patch of the room to help prevent uneven fading.
- With hand-spun yarn, the rug may shed early on but light vacuuming will help resolve this.
- Loop pile rugs are best beaten: just turn them face down on the floor, beat gently, and then vacuum up the grit and dust from the floor rather than the rug.
- Rug-hold underlay prevents rugs from slipping or the transfer of vegetable dyes on handmade rugs onto light coloured carpets.
- Some oriental rugs may need specialist care and our experts in both our Cork and Limerick carpets departments will be able to advise on options in your area.
If you have any queries about purchasing or caring for your rug we are happy to assist!
Your browser is not supported. Please upgrade your browser to the latest version